« The scavenger hunt | Main | The funniest thing yet »

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A midnight report from the hospital

Actually, it's well after midnight here in Jerusalem, but after a long day here at Hadassah Ein Kerem and Yonah finally sleeping in his hospital bed next to where I am typing this, I feel like I need to put up a post for all of you who sent emails, left comments and generally sent good juju our way.

I'm not up to writing too much at the moment, so I'll let some pictures speak for themselves.

Zahava, Yonah and I arrived at the hospital around 1:00PM.  Since Yonah and I had done all the paperwork the previous day all we had to do today was show up and go right to the floor where Yonah would be staying.  The nurses there showed us to Yonah's room and he was clearly delighted:


Yonah really liked the room  The bed had wheels (as promised) and there was even a train on the ceiling!


It turns out Yonah wasn't going to be taken for surgery until after three so we took him down the hall to the play room where he was reunited with our friend and hero, Nurse Noa:


After Noa went back to work we took Yonah back to the room and decided to let him try on his snazzy hospital pajamas.  If they had these in my size I would so steal a pair!


And of course there is the whole ID bracelet thing. I briefly entertained the idea of asking for a different color... but in the end I decided Yonah's manhood was not threatened by the pinkness of the bracelet:


After the fun of high fashion wore off, Yonah and Zahava settled in for a little quality time in front of a DVD movie on the laptop:


No sooner had the movie gotten going when some volunteer clowns stopped by to play with Yonah and make some balloon animals with him:


Of course once the clowns were gone, there was the inevitable post-clown let-down.  I think Yonah got the idea that this hospital thing would be one long party.


Even Ima's lap can't make the waiting much fun.


But finally they came for Yonah and he got to try out the rolling bed he'd heard so much about:


And down the hall we went.


And into elevators...


Down yet another hallway...


Until we arrived at the holding area beyond which only one parent can continue.  Zahava was a very good sport and let me take Yonah to the O.R..  Here she is having a little fun with Yonah before she had to say goodbye:


From there Yonah and I went to a small hallway outside the O.R. where I had to gown up and Yonah had to put on a hair net over his kippah (only in Israel!).  I think this was the point where it suddenly hit him that this operation thing was actually going to happen:


The surgery before us went a bit long and then they had to clean up the O.R., so while we waited to go in, Yonah reviewed his charts:


Suddenly the doors were opened and I was told to carry Yonah in and place him on the table (actually a smaller bed).  This was the point when he decided he didn't want the operation after all.


Unfortunately, once you get to this point, there is no going back.  So with some gentle encouragement from me, the surgeon and anesthesiologist, the mask with the happy gas was put into place... and within seconds Yonah was out.


I was kinda hoping nobody would notice me and I could sort of hang out and watch the operation.  But it turns out there was a nurse there whose only job was to wait until the kid was out cold and then escort me out to the waiting room.  Rats!

Zahava  and I had missed lunch so we ran down to the food court for a quick dinner of quiche (hers was artichoke and mine was mushroom), salads and coffee.  By the time we got back the surgeon had just come out and we were escorted to the recovery room where Yonah was just starting to thrash about as the anesthesia wore off.

As soon as he opened his eyes, the doc asked me to put Yonah on my lap so that he would feel more secure:


After a bit, they had to give him some more pain meds so I put him back onto the bed.


He was mostly sleeping at this point, so all Zahava and I could do was hold his hand...


And look at his pitiful face


... until finally our little boy woke up for real.


It is now almost 2:00AM and I have Yonah snuggled in next to me.  The nurse has come in twice to adjust his IV and check on him... but at this point I'm going to have to get some sleep or I'll be useless in the morning.

Some time during the day they will evaluate Yonah and let us know if he can go home or if he needs to stay another night.  I hope we can take him home as soon as possible so we can all sleep in our own beds.

Good night.

Posted by David Bogner on May 13, 2008 | Permalink


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A midnight report from the hospital:


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Glad to hear all went well with the surgery.
Refuah Sh'leimah to Yonah.
I'll be in Aretz for Shevuot. Need anything from this side of the Ocean?
Michael Harbater

Posted by: Michael Harbater | May 13, 2008 2:33:22 AM

Oh the precious beautiful baby.

Hugs to you and yours.


Posted by: Tina-cious.com | May 13, 2008 2:46:40 AM

I'm glad all is well. More positive juju comin' your way.

I don't know anything about pediatrics, but are kids always hospitalized for tonsillectomies? I thought that was an outpatient thing. Is that an America/Israel difference?

Posted by: Albert | May 13, 2008 3:05:15 AM

Refuah Shlema to the little one.

Posted by: David S | May 13, 2008 3:07:40 AM

so so glad to hear that everything is over and hopefully you are both sleeping well. very good documentation - isn't that looooong wait for the OR a bummer when your kid can't have anything to eat or drink? at least you had a lot of good entertainment! here's to good pain control, good sats, good hydration and a good night for all - including those waiting at home!


Posted by: Debbie | May 13, 2008 3:10:32 AM

I'm glad Yonah is doing well.

I had my tonsils out when I was six and remember being wheeled into the OR, screaming my head off. I feel for the lad. Scary stuff for a young child.

Posted by: Karl Newman | May 13, 2008 3:47:40 AM

One day Yonah will look at these pictures and realize how lucky he is to have such caring and devoted parents.

Posted by: Raizy | May 13, 2008 4:07:42 AM

A big Refuah Shleimah from all of us!

Posted by: David | May 13, 2008 4:13:00 AM

Thanks, Dave, for posting pics. I was hoping that you would.
So though I heard from Cheryl right after the surgery, seeing him in all the pre & post surgery phases, was cool.
He's a cutie... tell him Auntie Val is very proud of him and give him a big hug and a kiss on that beautiful face of his.

Posted by: val | May 13, 2008 6:12:06 AM

Fortunately, I've never had this experience, but I can imagine how scary it can be for him! Refuah shleimah, and I hope you all get to go home!

Posted by: Irina | May 13, 2008 7:10:14 AM

Albert: While tonsillectomies are, I think, also out-patient surgery here, they kept him overnight because he also had an adenoid-ectomy.

And in the words of his surgeon, "The surgery went well. His adenoids and tonsils were large, but it went well. Actually, his adenoids were huge. But he will be okay. There was a lot of adenoid tissue...."

Since I am guessing that the surgeon, like most in his profession, are not prone to hyperbole, I am assuming that was his understated way of letting us know "Well DUH! Of course your kid has some sensory issues! My G-d! with adenoids that size it's a wonder he's slept at all in his short, sleep-apnea'd life! If your adenoids were that big, you'd be a cranky, touchy mess too!"....

Posted by: zahava | May 13, 2008 8:31:48 AM

Glad to hear that it went well. Cute pictures.

Two of my nephews and a niece had the same surgery. And each time they told my sister and my BIL about the enormous tonsils and adenoids they found as if it was some incredible archaeological discovery. Just what you want, The Indiana Jones of surgery.

Posted by: Jack | May 13, 2008 8:53:13 AM

Glad to hear that things are a bit calmer now. Refuah sheleimah to the little guy.

Posted by: tnspr569 | May 13, 2008 8:56:23 AM

Talk about atrocious scheduling, I had my tonsils removed on my sixth birthday. 'Twas not exactly my idea of a birthday party. :(

I'm delighted to hear that the surgery went well, and wish Yonah a r'fuah shleimah/complete healing.

Posted by: Shira Salamone | May 13, 2008 9:03:13 AM

oh my goodness -- doesn't he look so small? he's so sweet... feel better little one!

ps -- does he get unlimited ice cream?

Posted by: nikki | May 13, 2008 9:48:55 AM

Refuah sh'lemah - hachlamah mehira!

Posted by: Ben-David | May 13, 2008 10:11:26 AM

Refuah Shleimah!

Posted by: Sarah | May 13, 2008 10:41:32 AM

Refuah shlemah to Yonah -- and to you and Zahava, too! I'm sure this wasn't exactly easy for you either.

Posted by: Rahel | May 13, 2008 12:02:01 PM

Refuah sheleimah to Yonah. In the "old days," kids would look forward to a tonsillectomy, as it would mean an Ice Cream Diet for a while afterwards...SWMBO can tell you all about that.

Glad your Big Guy came through with flying colors, b'li ayin ha-ra. When you're a mommy or daddy, there's no such thing as a "simple" surgery.

Posted by: Elisson | May 13, 2008 1:03:20 PM

Aww. He's one brave supapowaz champ!
You did tell him about Artik Diet, didn't you...

Posted by: a. | May 13, 2008 1:49:11 PM

Glad to hear it was a success! Hope they spring him soon.

Posted by: gila | May 13, 2008 2:02:00 PM


You oughta write for Grey's Anatomy!

I'm glad Yonah is doing well. He is a brave kid. And I agree with the poster who said no surgery is simple for a parent. My ten-year-old may need the surgery as well and I'm not looking forward to it.

Posted by: Baila | May 13, 2008 2:30:46 PM

Refuah Shelaimah.

"Post clown let down"?

It was worth reading the post just for that.

Posted by: mochassid | May 13, 2008 3:57:25 PM

What a trooper!!! Only in this hi-tech information age and with a gadget-happy, high-performance daddy could this wonderful record be possible! Nicely done all around. Your mother and I, way back when, had only non-so-nice hospital experiences with tonsils, and only the minimal balm of ice cream afterwards to soften the memory.
We're glad it's over. Hats off to this truly brave new world of child care and old fashioned geat parents!
Speedy recovery!
Grandma & Grandpa

Posted by: Delmar Bogner | May 13, 2008 5:14:37 PM

Precious photos! I hope he feels better really soon!

Posted by: SaraK | May 13, 2008 7:46:55 PM

Ay the poor little critter! I'm so glad to hear he came through well and is on the mend. The pictures of him are darling.

Posted by: Yaeli | May 13, 2008 8:01:34 PM

Oh my gosh, that picture of him crying broke my heart and brought tears to my eyes.

So glad to hear all went well. Refuah sheleimah to your sweet little guy.

Posted by: orieyenta | May 13, 2008 8:28:03 PM

clowns, quiches, movies, balloons, computer games - man, hospitals sure have changed!

but where's the de rigour ice-cream pic? is that no longer done?

glad all went great - is yonah now opening up wide and showing all his buddies?

Posted by: yonah | May 13, 2008 9:22:41 PM

you guys are amazing parents
your love for your son came through loud and clear
my kids have had surgeries, so I can empathise with what you as a parent went through, but at this age they show how brave they are.
thank you for sharing this very personal glimpse into your life.
refuah shleimah to yonah.

Posted by: Hadassah | May 14, 2008 12:50:31 AM

The photo that shows you holding your little boy after the surgery...I can see your heart in your eyes.

Posted by: Dina | May 14, 2008 6:06:43 AM

I welled up looking at the pictures. The bravery of children and the bittersweetness of parenting.

Refuah shleimah to young Master Bogner.

Posted by: Shimshonit | May 14, 2008 8:52:46 AM

Refuah shleimah to Yonah.

Posted by: Ilana-Davita | May 14, 2008 9:14:38 AM

what a good boy!
glad its all done.

Posted by: weese | May 14, 2008 7:14:53 PM

Everything seems to have gone terrifically, and that is the best hospital treatment of a kid I have ever witnessed... when I had my appendix out (I can still remember the ceiling, yes, as I counted backwards) and two operations later on for sinusoidal polyps, I didn't get anything fun along those lines.

I am grateful Yonah is A-OK.

And yet...

My mind keeps circling back to the unbidden thought that if there were more clowns like *that* in the world, I can think of at least a fair amount of people in the world (young men, mostly) who would no longer find it fashionable or desirable to be Clown-Phobic.

I'm just sayin'.


Posted by: Wry Mouth | May 16, 2008 7:19:34 AM

What a brave little boy! Hope he is having an easy recovery.

My little one will soon be having surgery in a few weeks too but for a ten minute cleaning of his ears. Just looking at these pictures are making my palms sweat. I know kids are resilent and always do well (Noah also had had his adenoids removed when he had tubes put into his ears) but I am always left a nervous wreck leading up to it.

Posted by: jaime | May 17, 2008 10:46:39 PM

At some quiet time soon you will recover, I hope you can take him home as soon as possible for everyone to sleep in their beds and off course rest.

Posted by: sildenafil | May 25, 2010 7:59:32 PM

Post a comment

If you have a TypeKey or TypePad account, please Sign In